Sunday, May 30, 2021

Letter to my 10yr old self

 This is a letter that I wrote to myself in response to the beginning of working through my sexual trauma. 

Dear Kimberly,

    You are 10 years old, a child. You have been through a lot at 10 years old. You've had to deal with physical and emotional abuse from your parents and now sexual trauma from multiple people, including some of your friends. You are confused about what is going on an how to handle it. It's okay to feel confused, what you are going through is something a child should never have to go through. It is not right nor is it fair. You deserve so much better than what you have been given. You deserve support and care and respect. You are worth so much more than you think or feel. I want to let you know that you are not alone. I know you may feel alone because of all the people that have let you down. But I am right here, by your side telling you that I care about you and know the pain that you are in right now. I want you to know that you will get through this. You are not alone. I know right now you are feeling a lot of guilt, shame an blame for what is happening to you. I want to tell you that it is not your fault. You are not responsible for the action of your parents or your perpetrators. You are not in control of them and I know that's frustrating and you feel powerless. I want you to know that you have power within yourself, so don't let anyone take that from you. You can get through this. I know you feel shame and guilt over what has happened with your perpetrator. You don't need to feel shameful because you are a child. You don't understand what is going on and are thus not responsible for what has happened/what is happening right now. You are not at fault for this. I know if feels that way now but you had no control in this situation. You are a child. i know you've had to grow up fast because of your parents expectations and family life. I want to let you know that it is not fair or right. You should be able to be a child, not an adult. What your parents are doing to is not right or okay in any way. You deserve to be loved by your parents and they have failed you. You deserve to be treasured, not abused. You are not at fault for any of your parents' actions. I know you may feel that you are bad because of what your parents have done to you but you aren't. You are a sweet, caring, intelligent child. You are not bad, and you shouldn't be treated like have been treated. They are wrong, not you. It is not your fault. 
    I want you to know that I see you and I hear you. You are not alone. I will take care of you now and help you through this. You will get through this  an we will do great things together. I care about you. We can move past this and be successful. We can do this together. 

    Sincerely,
        Kimberly

1 comment:

  1. You're not alone and I'm here too. We are connected for a reason. I'm glad you're my friend. You're going to make it and prove everyone wrong. Stay strong

    ReplyDelete