Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Poems from Treatment #3

 These are two poems I wrote surrounding my discharge at River Oaks.

Discharge is here
It's time to get out
But why in my mind
Do I have so much doubt

Discharge means change
Change is always hard
And that to me means 
I need to put up my guard

I can't wrap my head around it
It's hard to see
That discharge is real
It's what's meant to be

The work is not done 
The struggles are not over
The pain is still there
Lurking over my shoulder

I'm worried
I'm scared
That when I get out
I won't make it out there

The fear is close
The doubt is clear
That I'll never make it
I'll just end up back here

I'm not sure I can do this
There's no one holding my hand
I have to get up on my own two feet
I'll have to stand

I'm worried 
I'm scared
That once I get out
I won't be prepared

The terror, the fear
Are constant reminders
Reminders of everything
Constantly here

Reminders of the future
Reminders of the past
I'm just not sure
How long I can last

My time here was fruitful
I did the hard work
I just wish it didn't need to end
End with no hurt

I'm afraid of the loss
That I know is about to come
That signals "put your guard up"
Or turn around and run

I'm losing someone
Someone special in my life
The first therapist I trusted
With all my pain, my strife

I feel alone
In this journey I fight
Because no one really understands 
Everything I've let come into the light

My guard goes back up
It never left me
I've let people too close
Let people see

It's fearful
It's scary
But it's something totally normal
Totally ordinary

The fear
The doubt
Continue to show themselves
Just keep coming out

I'm scared 
I'm worried
Because all of this
Seems totally hurried

I'm terrified
I'm fearful
That the outside world
Won't be nearly as cheerful

I'm still in shock
I'm still in pain
But now there is something
Something to gain

The pain I have
The struggle I run
It seems it's never over
Never completely done

This pain 
This struggle
It something I'll always have
Something I have to learn to juggle

I know healing's a process
One that never ends
It starts with me
My fences to mend

Healing never ends
There's always work to be done
But that doesn't mean
I can turn around and run

This place is safe
This place is why
I need to let go
Spread my wings and fly

Poem #2

I've been here a while
Worked on many things
But now it is time
I fly on my wings

The journey's been rough
It's been a fight
Maybe this will help me
Help me see the light

It's time for me
To enter the world
To take my first steps
My legs uncurled

The process has been good
It's helped me to see
That maybe this time
I'll be able to stand on my own two feet

I can't say
I'm not afraid
To fall back into my habits
To lose the progress I've made

I still need help 
The fight isn't over
I still need
To look over my shoulder

My eating disorder
It cannot win
I must be strong
I need to put the work in

It's such a battle
But I must win the war
My suicidal thoughts
That live in my core

Self-harms a struggle
Another one I need to face
So I can win this battle
This war, this race

My trauma is hard
It won't go away
At least immediately
It's here to stay

At the same time
Progress has been made
Some of trauma's power
Has been taken away

My trauma is real
But I'm not to blame
Now I can see
I can let go of the shame

My emotions are valid
They're safe to express
I'm able to show them
They're okay to address

Anger is normal
Anger is okay
It doesn't mean I'll turn into my dad
In any fashion, any way

My life has changed 
Even in small ways
I can take back some freedom
To conquer new days

It's time now
For this chapter to end
Time to let go 
Time to let myself mend

I know there's a loss
Of something special to me
A therapist I trusted
One who has been a key

A key to my progress
A key to my fight
But now that is over
It's time to reach a new height

I know there will be sadness
There will be pain
But I must remember
How much I gained

Now it's time 
To turn to a new page
This time is over
Time to start a new age

I've loved my time
That I spent here
But now it is over
My real life is near

I can make it outside
With all that I've learned
I'm stronger inside
There is so much I earned

Now it's time
To say goodbye
It's up to me 
I'm willing to try

I will always remember
All the good times
But it's time now
Time for me to fly

I can do this
I know I can
Today I'm ready
Ready to stand


No comments:

Post a Comment